Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Watching World Cup at the Red Lion last Sunday

I went to the Red Lion- 151 Bleecker Street in the west village of Manhattan to meet up with friends and watch the world cup matches. It has been a while since I took a day to myself so even though I just got off a plane the day before and I was seriously fatigued I forced myself out into the jungle.

What a great time I had. There is nothing that matches the energy in a sports bar when world cup games are on. People from all over the world come together and watch. Even though these were early matches and the bar was far from pack it was a great day. I perched myself at the bar by the closest sit to the door and sent out messages to friends telling them where I would be. I also put my status on facebook with my location in case any friends were in the area and wanted to stop by. About six friends said they would try and make it. In the end only one friend actually made it out (thanks Mark) and being there I made tons of new friends. Thanks Vlad and Melissa (watch out they are from Philly), And George (corporate lawyer- actually had more in common with him than I could ever imagine).

Watching the World Cup in a bar in Manhattan is one of my favorite things. I cannot wait until next weekend.

No comments: