Thursday, September 15, 2011

Coconut Oil pulling detox experiment: Does this work?

I love blogging. I also reading a number of other blogs. One site I enjoy is elephantjournal.com.

Today I read this article coconut-oil-pulling-detox.  Always willing to try something new I ran out tonight and bought a $9 jar of coconut oil.  I went to Trader Joe's first, but they didn't have any.  I must have had a clueless look on my face, but a sales girl was good enough to ask if I need any help.  When I asked about coconut oil, she knew what it was and also that they didn't carry it.  I was dreading taking the extra ride to Whole Foods (about twenty minutes away) when I sales girl was good enough to recommend a health food store down the rode--Win.

Summary: There are a lot of toxins and bacteria in your mouth.  Holding certain oils in your mouth and swishing the oil for 10-15 minutes will absorb the toxins and bacteria, hence "pulling" the toxins out.  Or "pulling" the oil through your teeth, I really have no idea.

Some of the proposed benefits include:

  • Whiter teeth
  • Healthy gums
  • Clear sinuses
  • Decrease in allergy symptoms, asthma & PMS symptoms
  • Increase in energy
  • Better sleep
  • Clearer skin
  • Regulated menstrual cycles
Which naturally I really need a regulated menstrual cycle.  But seriously, as I mentioned before- I have a small patch of dry skin and since this only requires a $9 investment, I am giving it a go.

My first try:
The coconut oil is solid at room temperature and it melts quickly in my mouth. It does not have any taste that I could notice.  Although after a while I did notice a very faint coconut --very faint-- taste.  At just about the twenty minute mark I started to gag a little.  I didn't notice anything in particular- it was clear as much as I could tell.  A comment on the original post above, someone mentioned they tried it and they were shocked.  I have to be honest; I am a little disappointed.

Final comments:
It was a little weird, but I will try and do it every morning at least for the next week or two.  Actually, unless something happens unforeseen I'll try and do it every morning until the jar I bought is done.  The morning is best especially since it is recommended to to in on an empty stomach.  It is also said they if you expel into the sink, after rinse a few times with warm water and brushing your teeth use anti-bacterial soap to clean the sink.  (Is there really that much awful toxins and bacteria coming out of your mouth to concern an serious sink washing!)

We will see how it works.  More to follow.

No comments: