Wednesday, July 14, 2010

PC user going to mac--Part II-- Two weeks later

Here is my review of using a Macbook pro now that I have had it for two weeks: It is awesome. I barely use my windows 7 Laptop ( I gave away my XP and vista laptop when I got the Mac). I actually have been traveling non-stop so I haven’t transferred the stored information (documents, pictures, music) from my old laptop. The Macbook Pro is everything a laptop should be. I realize my revulsion with the Mac’s probably had more to do with a bias of hipsters I see walking around Brooklyn with them and human nature to resist change.

For word processing and internet access it is amazing. The price is higher, but well worth it considering the ease of use. Start up and shutdown is exactly what you would expect a computer should be- almost instant.

The battery life is incredible. I spend the weekend in Houston as an eight hour class and the battery life was over 50% by the end of the day. On sunday I didn’t even take the charger with me. This still blows my mind- I need my charger after less than three hours with any of my former laptops. Power management is superb. I was reading an ebook on my flight home from Houston when I turned off the reading light over my head in an effort to save energy for the plane (always fugal, environmental, and engineering minded) when I noticed the screen actually dimmed. I turned the lights back on and the screen brightened. This Macbook actually adjusted the screen brightness depending on the ambient light. I almost do not believe it.

Now, the battery isn’t removable and it wears out. So to replace it you have to send it out for servicing. From what I understand all Apple products are like this. My friend Nick told me his iphone battery doesn’t hold a charge like it once did. I tend to replace laptops every year or so anyway (benefit of owning your own business) and I’ll have to report on that in a later blog.

The bottom line is that after two weeks of using the Macbook I don’t think I will ever not have one to use for word processing, presenting, and interneting (yes, I made that word up). All the frustrating things about the other operating PCs just don’t exist.

1 comment:

Stephanie Barr said...

My sister likes hers too. I think it all depends on what you want it for. For many applications, you can't beat a Mac for a stable reliable no hassle environment.