Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Mindbender: Russel's Paradox

I found this at

If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct?

A) 25%

B) 50%

C) 60%

D) 25%.

I'll do my best to try to explain it in comments next week.  Let me know what you think!


Relax Max said...

50%. Normally with 4 possibilities, your odds are 1 in 4, or 25%. But two of the answers are 25%, thereby doubling your chances of being right. 50%.

This is to easy, so I am obviously missing something. Looking forward to you filling me in on that.

Relax Max said...

Wait! Wait! Do over! Mulligan!

Although you have listed 4 answers, there are really only 3 possibilities, so your chances are 1 in 3.

But that's not one of your answers. Sigh.

Never mind.

Anonymous said...

Well just by the name I would say that it is a paradox. Normally 25% is the correct answer, but there are two of them, so 50% is the answer, but there is only one 50% answer as a choice, so the answer is 25%, but there are two 25% answers, so the answer is 50%, and so on and so forth.

So the question becomes, is there a right answer to this question? Well there has to be, it is implied in the question. So I would say that choice a,b, and d are all technically correct. So you have a 75% chance.