Monday, April 25, 2011

Type of Bias to keep in mind when discussing data

In all the conference rooms at NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) they have a poster listing common types of Bias:


Wishful thinking

- “hope is not a management tool”

Group think
- “I hate conflict”


Status Quo Bias
- Ever heard “we’ve not had a problem before”

Overconfidence Bias
- “We’ve always been successful in the past”


Currency Bias
- “We remember recent events and forget history”


Confirming Evidence Bias
- “I’ve read smoking doesn’t cause cancer”


Anchoring Bias
- The first information we receive gets more weight


Sunk Cost Bias
- “But look at the money we’ve already spent”

Just something to keep in mind.

2 comments:

GTS said...

You can't manage what you don't measure.

rocketsciencesense said...

GTS, check out "How to measure anything" by Douglas Hubbard. Look for a review here, coming soon.

Nilofer, done- nice blogs, although I am a single white with no kids I do have two nephews and a niece that I love dearly. I will keep up with your blog. Thanks!